Not going to lie, broccoli is, and always will be my favourite vegetable. Researching its benefits got me intrigued!
Here are just a few things you may not have known about broccoli, and some of the many reasons you should add it to your diet:
1. Broccoli is one of the richest vegetable sources of calcium, iron and magnesium. It surprisingly contains almost as much calcium as whole milk!
2. Broccoli is also rich in vitamins A and C, containing almost as much vitamin C as an orange! Which make it perfect for fighting colds this winter.
3. Research shows that Broccoli contains high amounts of the cancer fighting compound Sulforaphane, which is found in young broccoli sprouts. Sulforaphane is known as a common natural chemical that stops the growth of tumours.
4. Broccoli is shown to help cancer prevention by protecting cells from free-radical damage. Research shows that women who eat more broccoli are less likely to get cervical cancer.
5. Has an effect on the stimulation and movement of the liver, it supports liver detoxification.
6. Broccoli are loaded with fibre, which aids digestion and prevents constipation.
7. Rich in protein, perfect for a 3pm snack!
8. Due to its high amounts of potassium, broccoli helps maintain a healthy nervous system and promotes muscle growth.
9. Helps regulate blood pressure, due to the high amounts of calcium and magnesium!
10. You can enjoy broccoli raw, steamed, roasted or pan fried with coconut oil in a stir-fry!