Everything we eat has an effect on our brain function, as well as the quality of food we are putting into our bodies. A diet rich in antioxidants and healthy fats can be very beneficial to your brain.
Here are my top foods to eat to feed your brain:
1. Blueberries, black berries and strawberries
These berries are high in anthocyanins which are the pigments responsible for the colours in plants. Anthocyanins act as powerful antioxidants which protect neurons by neutralizing free-radicals which can cause damage.
Seeds, nuts, fresh fruit and vegetables also contain antioxidants that protect the brain. Blueberries in particular improve intellectual brain function.
2. Healthy fats - the brain loves healthy fats which include:
- Olive oil - protects against memory loss
- Flaxseed oil - rich in alpha-linolenic acid and assists brain development
- Almonds - rich in vitamin E, calcium and phospholipids (improves memory)
- Walnuts - improves memory due to their omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins B1 and B6
- Oily fish - wild salmon especially, which contains omega-3 essential fatty acids (improves brain function)
- Broccoli - full of vitamin K which helps improve brain function!
3. Garlic - amongst its numerous AMAZING health benefits, garlic (when consumed regularly) is shown to reduce the risk of dementia and stop intellectual loss that comes with aging.
Garlic supports brain function by improving circulation and increasing blood flow to the brain. It reduces the level of cholesterol and prevents its oxidation. Garlic's powerful antioxidant properties stop cell aging and destroy free-radicals which protect neurons from inflammation.