Author, Health Coach, Blogger, Yoga Teacher and founder of Supercharged Foods - Lee Holmes chats to All About Health, sharing her best wellness advice and inspiration behind her latest book!
1. Why do you believe it's important to make healthy eating a priority?
I believe it's a good health insurance policy and healthy eating can make you feel great and give you a lot more energy to enjoy life.
2. What is your number 1 tip for those who are time poor but want to eat well?
Try a batch cooking day on a Sunday and get pre prepared ahead of time. Then just eat from the freezer through the week.
3. Do you crave sweet/savoury foods, if so, how do you deal with these cravings?
I follow the 80/20 rule so don't crave foods on a daily basis but if I am craving something then I like to eat it in moderation. I also like to try and enjoy a healthy version of whatever it is I am craving.
4. What inspired you to write your latest book, 'Eat Clean, Green and Vegetarian'?
Eat, Clean Green and Vegetarian was really a book to show people you can live on a vegetarian diet and still get all the relevant nutrients needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle. The idea of this book is to make it more palatable for the everyday person, to decrease your reliance on meat and the idea that you can enjoy a fully satisfying meal without animal protein. I am a flexitarian and eat meat but do enjoy a high plant based diet. A lot of vegetarians are not all that healthy they eat a lot of soy protein and TVP, fake cheeses and fake meats which are highly processed. My book covers all of that as well as how to increase B12 and iron and includes seasonal guides and ways to store produce for optimal nutrition.
5. What are your top 3 essential vegetarian ingredients to keep in the pantry?
Leafy greens for iron
Nutritional yeast flakes for B vitamins
Turmeric for anti-inflammatory benefits