This recipe has been tried and tested. Everyone who has taste-tested it has come back raving about it and asking for more (they say it taste better than a classic apple pie!).
After a few trials I have come up with the ultimate recipe that is both healthy and soul-satisfying.
This is a great gluten, dairy and refined sugar free option instead of a gluten-filled classic apple pie. Not to mention, this recipe is a breeze to make, Nutritionist approved (by yours truly) and will be sure to keep you cosy and warm this winter.
Sugar Free/Gluten Free/Dairy Free
FOR THE CRUST:
2.5 cups of almond meal (balanced if you prefer the crust to look more like classic pie crust, I have used regular almond meal)
2.5 tbsp coconut sugar
2 large organic eggs
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp cold water
FOR THE FILLING:
5 green organic apples
1 tsp lemon juice
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey (if you feel its too lemony or prefer it sweeter, feel free to add more honey or maple syrup)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Line and grease a pie tin with baking paper.
3. Combine almond meal, coconut sugar, coconut flour and baking soda in a medium size mixing bowl and combine until there are no lumps.
4. In another mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and cold water (optional if mixture is too dry).
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredient mixture and pour in wet ingredients, stir together until it resembles dough and is well combined.
6. With a rolling pin, roll out 1/2-3/4 of the pastry (leaving enough to use later on the top of the pie). Flip or place pastry over the pie tin, press down firmly and mould with hands. Place the pie crust in the oven for 5-10 minutes until slightly golden and crisp (remember that you are going to put it back in the oven one you have added apple mixture and pastry top so be sure not to over cook). Then remove and set aside.
APPLE FILLING METHOD:
1. Chop up apples (removing apple core) into small thing slices, place in mixing bowl.
2. Add lemon juice, and cinnamon. Toss over apples.
3. In a small sauce pan, sauté, apple mixture on low until cooked, and and in vanilla and honey.
4. When apple mixture has cooked and is sweet enough, pour out any excess liquid and pour onto pie crust and spread evenly.
5. Roll out remaining pastry and place on top of the pie.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Enjoy! Tag me on social media if you try it so I can see!
Facebook: Rebecca Sturgess - All About Health