Here is my take on a healthy version of pie crust. After many attempts this is the closest I have come to regular crust. It taste delicious and always has people coming back for more!
Sugar Free/Gluten Free/Dairy Free
2.5 cups of almond meal (balanced if you prefer the crust to look more like classic pie crust, I have used regular almond meal)
2.5 tbsp coconut sugar
2 large organic eggs
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp cold water
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Line and grease a pie tin with baking paper.
3. Combine almond meal, coconut sugar, coconut flour and baking soda in a medium size mixing bowl and combine until there are no lumps.
4. In another mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and cold water (optional if mixture is too dry).
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredient mixture and pour in wet ingredients, stir together until it resembles dough and is well combined.
6. With a rolling pin, roll out 1/2-3/4 of the pastry (leaving enough to use later on the top of the pie). Flip or place pastry over the pie tin, press down firmly and mould with hands. Place the pie crust in the oven for 5-10 minutes until slightly golden and crisp (remember that you are going to put it back in the oven one you have added apple mixture and pastry top so be sure not to over cook). Then remove and set aside.
Once you have added filling, roll out remaining pastry and place on top of the pie. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and crisp.